Friday, May 8, 2009

Distraction

I have multi-crafter distractitis. I'm sure there's a help group out there somewhere, but that would add another distraction, thus compounding the problem. This is almost as crippling a condition as startitis, or second sock syndrome, but takes you out of the realm of only knitting.

A partial list of things which are currently cluttering up my project table and room -

• Wall hanging from my mother for which I need to make rod finials out of napkin rings
• Knotwork books for figuring out design for celtic appliqué
• Stack of washed fat quarters for a panel skirt for my daughter
• Stack of washed fabric for apron for myself (yes it will be a thing of beauty)
• Bag of yarn in the process of being turned into a blanket for an imminent nephew
• Box of yarn for a sweater for myself
• Two large pieces of fabric for clothing for myself - one just because and the other for a wedding in July
• A costume vest pattern I've been thinking of modifying for a long time - to be combined with the appliqué noted above
• Two daughter projects for amusing her while I work on other things
• A swatching attempt for a sleeveless sweater for that wedding

Since today is filled with housework, grocery shopping, and errand running, I'm not seeing the potential for much progress on any of these today. Yesterday was all housework, all the time, with only 30 minutes spent on the blanket while at Little Rogue's dance class.

Adding to the distraction is the other stuff that I'd like to be doing, like playing World of Warcraft again. I finally respecced my rogue after the latest patch, and it would please me to run about with her. Or to play my new death knight. Or to find out when it is that my WoW friends are playing and hook up with them for a bit.

I'd also like to be out gardening - fixing the fence that the wind knocked down back in November so I can plant sugar snap peas, planting seeds in the front garden, getting the back lawn to not look like a dying pile of weeds. Ok, so dying pile of weeds might be overkill (heh) but it needs some serious TLC. What it really needs is to be completely redone, including the sprinkler system, but that's not in the budget any time soon.

Time to get moving and get done the "have to" for today, and then possibly I'll work on the blanket the wall hanging finials, so that can get off the table. I almost said blanket, because there's a pretty short timeline on that, but it needs a block of real sitting down time which I doubt I'll get today. See! Even in blogging about what I need to do and which should get worked on first I can't decide which comes first!

As was said so aptly in Bull Durham: "We're dealing with a lot of shit."

No comments: