Thursday, June 11, 2009

Not dead yet.

For a promising beginning, that was a really long break. Getting sick will do that to you.

I'm still stuck in the distractitis, but I've gotten the baby blanket almost done. Just the sewing of the hems to do, and then I'll post FO pics. Planning to send it off to the little recipient - now two weeks old - no later than Monday.

I've added another layer of distraction by suddenly getting interested in spinning on a spindle. Have I ever spun before? No. Do I have a reason to spin? Well, not really, except that it sounds interesting. Do I think that this really is a way of displacing and not getting other stuff done? Yep.

Luckily, or unluckily, there is a grand opportunity coming up this weekend for playing with fluff and spindles, as well as searching for yarn for projects. Estes Park Wool Market The workshops up there started today, and will go on tomorrow, but I'll be heading up on Saturday for a girl's day out with dear cousin, a fellow fiber fan.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on for the last few weeks, and think I'll be looking for a couple of spindles (likely a high whorl and a low whorl by these folks) and then seeing what type of fiber I can get in trouble with. My pie-in-the-sky goal is to be able to spin sock to lace weight, but I realize I'll need to start with something thicker. Spinning yarn that I'll really use is the short term goal.

I'll also be looking for fingering and laceweight yarns for a couple of projects, including a shawl.

Pictures of the festival and the fiber and the mess I make with a spindle are sure to follow.

No comments: